Most people reached land by lifeboats but some swam to shore.
At least 50 people have not yet been accounted for, Italian officials say, but they caution that the passenger list may not be fully up to date.
Coast guard vessels are combing the waters around the ship, while divers are searching the submerged decks.
The regional prefect’s office said 4,165 out of 4,234 people on board had been accounted for, the Italian news agency Ansa reported.
Italian, German, French and British nationals were among the 3,200 passengers on board. There were also 1,000 crew.
Three people were confirmed dead, Italian coast guard officials said on Saturday morning – fewer than the six or eight deaths reported by Italian media earlier. Fourteen people were injured. Continue Reading…